Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. ERROR - SQL query

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All..

Im getting this error and its happening intermittently (I can run the workflow and it will work fine and then ill run it again without changing anything and ill get the error). Im using an input data tool to query a DB and making some tables. When it does error out, it seems it happens not even half way through the step. Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot this? Ive looked and have seen many people talk about union tools and corrupt ymdb files - unfortunately im not using any of those. 

Thanks for any help in advance!!

10 REPLIES 10
EmanueleE
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jnash,

Just a "shoot"!!! (i've never seen this error)

It's possible that into the DB there are columns with the label longer then 30 character???

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the response emanuele

My variable names (column headers) aren't longer than 30 characters, the largest one is ~15. There are some values within the column that are >30 though.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jnash

This error is often memory related. 

When you are running the Alteryx workflow and it fails in future could you check whether you have other processes running on your machine and taking up some RAM.

I think that may be the cause.

One way round it may be to lower the memory for joins and sorts within Alteryx. There are some details around that here

Thanks

Joe

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

The most common causes for this error for me has been:

1.  The DB I'm writing to does not have enough space (memory) to hold what I am writing to it.  To test, start with, say, 100 records. If those write, then try another 100.  Or 1000.  This will tell you if that's the issue.

2.  You are writing to a character field of length X, and at least one of your records in the data set you're writing from, for that field, has a value that is of length 'bigger than X'.

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Prior to reading your response - I inserted an Auto Field tool in place of a select tool that I had in the workflow. which seems to have done the trick. I'm assuming now, after seeing your response, in that select tool that I previously had, I defined one of the variables to be too small. 

Thanks for your feedback!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Glad to help.  From the sounds of it, it was either a character field that was too long, or a type mismatch (since the auto-field tool took care of it).

missiecyclone
6 - Meteoroid

I got this same error when querying a database and outputting the results as a Tableau tde file.  Worked fine in 11.7 but errored-out every time after I upgraded to 2018.1.  Inserting the Auto Field tool worked for me, too.

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

I am having the same situation.  The auto-field tool is not working for me but going back to 11.7.4 seems to work fine.  Submitted a ticket.

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

So, to follow up my comment from yesterday.....With 2018.1 the US Data license is now separate and is not bundled like the older licenses were.  That solved my problem with respect to spatial data.  The interesting thing is that I would get a similar error, generally memory related when I tried to process my data.  Also, with a small enough sample, it would actually work.  I think Alteryx plans on following up on community with respect to the error not being related to the solution we came up with but wanted to make sure I got that on here.

Labels