Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult - Error writing output to .hyper

GabrielCM
7 - Meteor

I am having an error writing a .hyper file. I've tried solutions like using the 'Select' tool and changing 'String' to 'V_WString', but it still doesn't work. This is giving me problems in the 'PublishToTableauServer.yxmc' tool, specifically in the 'TableauServer.OutputDataConditionally.yxmc' macro.

The specific message error is 'The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe GetOverlappedResult: The pipe has been ended.'

This error is occurring when updating from version 2020.4 to version 2021.3

4 REPLIES 4
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @GabrielCM,

I've seen this error in a variety of output tools, primarily when there's an invalid character in the output filepath or filename. The rather vague error message usually has to do with an XML or XML->engine issue. Before troubleshooting further, I'd recommend looking over the outgoing filepath and removing special characters and spaces in the filename (if possible... I know you're writing to a server).

GabrielCM
7 - Meteor

Hello @clmc9601, thanks for your comments.

In this case the name is dynamic, it is created in the folder '[Engine.TempFilePath]' and the name is indicated by the user.
However, I also tried creating a new file with a different name and it didn't work for me. Actually tried several options to create this file, but it always gives the same error, this only happens when I update to 2021.3, it doesn't happen when I go back to 2020.4.

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @GabrielCM,

Hmm, interesting that it changes with the version. Looks like previous users have encountered similar errors in two circumstances:

- Knowledge Base article on this exact error having to do with McAfee security: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/ConnectNamedPipe-Error-with-Adaptiv...

- Tableau Hyper Files similar error with extended ASCII characters: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Error-When-Exporting-to-Tableau-Hyper-...

GabrielCM
7 - Meteor

Hi @clmc9601 

Thanks for all your comments, I have tried all the recommendations but none works in this case.
The solution that has worked for me has been to change the 'Publish to Tableau Server' tool to the 'Tableau Output' tool.

Labels