Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

In-Database Median Summarization

dataMunger
6 - Meteoroid

I am working on a workflow which requires me to take the median value of data field. This is possible with the Transform>Summarize tool but not avaliable in the In-Database>Summarize In-DB tool.  Due to the size of data I am working with, In-Database calculations will be needed.  Does anyone know a workaround to allow In-DB median summarization calculations?  For note, we are using a Teradata database. 

2 REPLIES 2
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I dont know teradata particularly but could you use a in-db formula to add a row number partitioned and sorted in the same way as the summarize you want.

You can then use the summarize in-db to get the maximum row number and then find the median by selecting joining back to half this value.

dataMunger
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was able to get it working by using the using the formula tool and ROW_NUMBER function to implemente the row number partition and sort.  The summarized tool then found the max row number followed by a formulat tool to divid this by two.  I forced this new field to be an integer to ensure I only had whole numbers.  I then joined back with an inner join and it worked.  Thanks for the quick answer. 

Labels