Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

In-DB warning using ORDER BY window function SQL

nakamott
8 - Asteroid

I am receiving the warning "Using order by in initial In-DB query may result in a query error. Consider using the sort on the sample or stream out tools."

I do not find much information on this error. Was wondering if it also applies to the ORDER BY used in window functions and what the error will be?

7 REPLIES 7
AndrewBanh
9 - Comet

Hi @nakamott 

There are quite a few SQL queries that don't work in Alteryx, just as most Alteryx-formed SQL queries don't work in SSMS. Order by is one of said queries. I have only begun using In-DB tools as well 😊

If you are looking to sort your data, you'd have to configure your Sample In-DB like shown below. You want to change the top left box to Percent and type in 100 and tick the "Sample records based on order:" box.

Sample In DB.png

Otherwise you'd have to stream your data out and use the normal Alteryx sort tool.

I have noticed that sometimes the Sample In-DB doesn't work as intended for me but the majority of the time it does. Haven't been able to work it out yet though.

Hope this helps mate.

- Andrew

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have few queries that has window functions like rank over parition by ,,,, and order by

when I try to run the query in indb connection i am getting an errror

This post is an old one but just wanted to confirm if it is still an iissue

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

tbh - order by usually works. It really depends upon your back end DB. Alteryx is basically saying use Order By as a sort when you are using datastream out. 

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Hi, thank you so much - the way i have the queries are like derived tables

source is Oracle DB

WITH Test AS (

),

select from Test

something like this - the query structure is soemthing like this but too many queries - within that derived table or CTE i have the rank over partition by field and order by some field

so this is where i have the order by... so iam confused on how to get this as it is part of the query - I dont need any sort once i get the main dataset

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You need to use subqueries vs CTE - WITH does not work In-DB because Alteryx wraps your entire statement in WITH command.

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much - really helpful

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @nakamott  The warning is very conservative and even happen when you're doing rank with a windowing function directly in the connect in-db tool. But it's just that : a warning and not an error message. I have never encountered a case when it leads to an error.

Best regards,

Simon

Labels