Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

In-DB formulas

Matthew
11 - Bolide

I am trying to duplicate an existing workflow using nothing but In-DB tools, but i am having a hard time figuring out how to use the in-DB formula tool

could someone please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong? here is the formula i'm trying to replicate, but i cant get even the most simple concatenations to work..

if

[PNRLocatorID] = Null()

then

[BATCH_ID]+'|'+[IssueDate]+'|'+[Min_FlightDate]+'|'+[POO_Origin]+'|'+[TrueNDOD]+'|'+[AgencyCode]+'|'+[TotalTktCouponCount]

else

[PNRLocatorID]

endif

NothingButThyme_0-1633710607499.png

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

in-db formulas use SQL  so you need to use CONCAT('Batch_ID','IssueDate) etc...  Haven't used the IF much in In-Db - maybe an CASE WHEN THEN ELSE END syntax? Or just datastream out and in...

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Matthew ,

There is difference from Formula tool expression and In-DB Formula tool expression.
In In-DB Formula tool, you should follow SQL expression.

For example, I made the table of how to express the field and value.

FieldValue(String)
Alteryx

[] : square blanket

ex [Field1]

'' or "" : Single or Double quotation

ex "apple" , 'apple'

SQL

"" : Double quotation

ex "Field1"

'' : Single quotation

ex  'apple'

This makes Alteryx users very confused.

And In SQL, we can't use IF function. We can use CASE WHEN function instead of it.

I think the following expression will work well.

CASE
WHEN "PNRLocatorID" IS NULL THEN Concat_WS('|',"BATCH_ID","IssueDate","Min_FlightDate","POO_Origin","TrueNDOD","AgencyCode","TotalTktCouponCount")
ELSE "PNRLocatorID"
END

I tried that expression at MS SQL Server. If your Database is not support some of the functions, it may not work.

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

inDB uses the SQL of the database engine that you're connecting to.  I usually login to the database and write and test the formula there before pasting into Alteryx.

You can see from @AkimasaKajitani 's post - that might work and will work on MS SQL, for other engines the syntax might be different.

Labels