Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

In-DB formula division - rounding down to nearest whole number

oracleoftemple
9 - Comet

Here's my situation.  I'm trying to use an In-DB Formula tool to divide two Int32 whole numbers.  I specify that the output should be Double so fractions will be displayed if applicable.  My formula looks like this:  ("Retail" / "Actual").  The problem is it's not including the remainder, i.e., it's rounding down to the nearest whole number.  So 4 / 5 gives me 0, when I want it to return 0.8.  8 / 5 gives me 1, when it should give me 1.6.  NOTE:  it's not rounding to the nearest whole number, otherwise 4 / 5 would have given me 1 and 8 / 5 would have given me 2.  It's just knocking off the fractional piece and rounding down.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I know how to do it with a regular Formula tool, but the In-DB tool is SQL and I'm not quite sure what it is that I need to do differently.

1 REPLY 1
oracleoftemple
9 - Comet

Got it!

cast("Retail" as float) / cast("Actual" as float)

Labels