Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

In DB - cycle through multiple tables

Chris_pateman
5 - Atom

I have a workflow that pulls data from Table A and I then want it to move on to Table B, then Table C etc. It's just one workflow and the table structure is identical in each instance, so I think I need a macro that will run the workflow on Table A, then change the key part of the table name for Table B and run it again, just changing 5 characters between iterations

How can I make this work?

1 REPLY 1
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Chris_pateman 

Couple of suggestions:

Dynamic Input

OR

Batch macro - Use a text Input tool tab names in one row in one workflow. Open a new workflow and add a single Input tool. Set the Input Tool up as if you are going to pull in one of the tabs. Add a macro output tool. Then add a control parameter tool and connect it to the top of the Input tool. An Action tool will appear in between the control parameter and the input tool. Select the Action tool and in the configuration window select where you see the full path of the file. You will see at the bottom of the configuration window that the file path you selected is in grey, select the "replace a specific string" and remove everything but the tab name as seen below.

Save the workflow and go back to your workflow with the text input. Right click on the canvas and select "insert" and you macro should be at the bottom of the list.

Connect the two tool and select the macro. Configure the Question tab with the field from the text input.

As long as the schema is the same this setup will work. If for some reason you get a schema error, but you know that all the field names are the same. Go back the macro workflow, select View in the upper left of the screen, select interface designer, select the gear icon, scroll down and change schema to name or you can use position.

Screenshot 2020-05-01 08.58.27.jpg

Labels