Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

In-DB Tool Question

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

The In-DB write tool allows me to write to an existing DB table.  Check!

Now that I've written to the table, there is a output connector.  What I'm trying to elegantly do is know that all of my INSERTs have committed and then read them out.  My INSERT has a trigger that causes an ID field to get the next available number assigned to it.  I want to READ my new records out so that I have the newly assigned ID value present.  

I need to NOT read the new records on an input until the output is done.  While I'm playing with this, any help would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
3 REPLIES 3
rdoptis
11 - Bolide

Hey Mark,

After you use the IN-DB write tool, you should be able to connect something onto its right side "output" and continue your workflow with what you wrote to your table with the identity column. You should see the new ID field assigned by the trigger in any subsequent downstream tools. If your looking to get the data back "into" Alteryx to use with non-in-db tools, then use a stream out directly after your write in DB tool. This order of tools will ensure your order of operations is as expected and your insert completes before further processing.

This approach works well in Teradata - your milage may vary in other DBs...

Cheers,

Ryan

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Can't wait to try it

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Oh this was definitely a new knowledge for me. Haven’t actually noticed the Database tools much. Thanks for sharing this @MarqueeCrew  

Thanks,
Nez
Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | Sydney SparkED Contributor
Labels