Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

[In-DB] How to create a constant value that feeds to each Connect In-DB operator?

jamanriqueu
5 - Atom

Hi all!

I'm currently doing a ETL workflow that uses a lot of Connect In-DB Operators. These operators call to tables from the same database server (say X), which is a clone from production database server (say Y).

We now have ETL workflow ready in X, so we're about to port this workflow to prod database server, but it's tiresome to change all these Connect In-DB Operators. Is there a way to have a constant value connection name that feeds each In-DB Operator so I can change the connection name from this value and this replicates to all Connect In-DB Operators? Is there an example I can guide myself upon?

I can clarify myself further if needed.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jamanriqueu 

You could look to utilise the "Manage In-DB Connections" part of Alteryx. You can get to it by Options > Advanced Options > Manage In-DB Connections.

The connections that get set up are used as an Alias. If you look in the connect in-db tool configuration you will see it stores a name. If you update the name to the desired connection this will then pass down to all the tools.

It's even easier if you have two Alteryx environments (two laptops, servers etc). As one can have the same alias name set to the clone and then other can have it from the prod DB. Then depending on where the Alteryx workflow is executed, depends on the DB used.

If you didn't want to do it in Designer, the file with the connections strings is here: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\SystemConnections.xml. So you could keep two copies with the different strings needed.

Labels