Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

In-DB Filter problem

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

I am using an In-DB filter tool but the number of records coming out of the T and F sides of the output do not equal the number of records going into the tool.

It seems pretty basic,  but I don't know why all of the false records  don't come out into the F stream.

What I do see is that the records that are missing have a null value in the field that I'm filtering.....but still shouldn't they come out of the False side?

When I count my records by Vendor_Type , this is what I have going into the filter

Null   - 80

CORP  - 70

EMPL 1783

PART 48

SOLE 20

I am trying to segregate the employee vendors from everyone else and then process each output differently.

I filter for "Vendor_Type" = "EMPL",  I get the 1783 records in the T output.

I get the CORP, PART, and SOLE records in the F output.

The Null Vendor_Type disappears.

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

With the normal filter tool, everything that equates to TRUE (or 1) is output from T and everything else is output from F. With the InDB Filter, 1 is output from T BUT FALSE (or 0) is output from F.  If your condition equates to NULL, the record is not output at all.

To get around this, I suggest filtering for your desired value (EMPL) and null values. From there, have a second filter that isolates the null values. You can then union the F values from the first filter and the null values from the second filter to get your population.

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

Thanks.  I'll have to tuck that difference in the my long term memory  🙂

mgiwa
5 - Atom

Hi,

Cause:

Alteryx generate and parses a query that just adds ‘NOT’ to whatever condition was specified in the filter for False part of the filter (rather than reverse the operator for each condition) and as a standard for both Oracle and Snowflake (NOT Condition always excludes records with Null on the condition field).

Solution:

use custom filter option and modify you condition to use NVL.

NVL("Vendor_Type",'') = "EMPL"

Labels