Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Imputing null string values with the mode

Saif_Allan
6 - Meteoroid

Am trying to impute string that has null values as a feature engineering to get rid of the null values with the most common value in the string ( mode) , how can i do this ? tried to do lookup table or use macros, can't get my head around it, any help ?

11 REPLIES 11
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Saif_Allan 

Did you try using this option

atcodedog05_0-1641473989937.png

Hope this helps : )

Saif_Allan
6 - Meteoroid

Imputing tool is only for numerical data type, I am trying to do it on strings, any other solution? thanks anyway.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Saif_Allan 

Can you tell us which you want to impute on ?

Saif_Allan
6 - Meteoroid

I want to impute all of the strings type that has null values in them, with the mode of the field - the mode of the field is the most reparative value in the field- so i want to impute all of my string fields that has null values in them. you can check their names in the lookup table - i think 38 records from 81-.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Saif_Allan 

Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1641474443219.png

Saif_Allan
6 - Meteoroid

I will try this out, Thank you so much!!!!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @Saif_Allan 

If my response helps please don't forget to mark it as solution.

Cheers and have a nice day!

Saif_Allan
6 - Meteoroid

How can I apply the method you gave me to my 38 fields ? is there a practical way to do this ?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Saif_Allan 

You can achieve it using python code in python tool of Alteryx. This code imputing all columns with code

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1641477479456.png

Labels