Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing database underlying an Excel pivot table

vstefano
7 - Meteor

Good evening,

I have an Excel file with various pivot tables. The datasource of the pivot tables is not available in the file (an external connection I have no access to).

Every day I open the file and recreate the database manipulating one the pivot tables. I then import the database in Alteryx and run my workflow.

Is there a way to avoid to create manually the database every day, opening the excel file and recreating the database?

Attached a snapshot. 

3 REPLIES 3
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @vstefano 

While Alteryx can read in pivot tables, it cannot read the underlying data. Pivot tables in excel work as a calculation of the underlying data more or less. So Alteryx can only read what was last refreshed or saved on the table. This would include filters, drilldowns, etc. 

Quick Example

Here is my raw data:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1604614936582.png

Here it is filtered to omit "Maybe":

Maskell_Rascal_2-1604615084195.png

Here it is pivoted and saved as a summation:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1604615054346.png

Without access to the underlying data, I would need to go in and edit the pivot table to be able to pull in all fields. 

I hope that makes sense. 

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

vstefano
7 - Meteor

Hi Maskell,

thanks for your feedback, unfortunatly that is not the solution I was hoping, but I will cope with it.

Stefano

JH_JH
5 - Atom

Hi Stefano, 

Did you find a solution later? If yes, could you share the idea here? 

Many thanks in advance.

Jiao

Labels