Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing data taking information from the header and adding to each row of data

willbutler1
6 - Meteoroid

I have a bid template (attached), and I want to import multiple files and append the supplier name and quotation date to each row of the data when I import into the master file.

Schema will be the same across all files, but filenames will not be.

willbutler1_1-1587377797876.png

First time post on here so be nice! Help very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Will

12 REPLIES 12
TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Morning @willbutler1 ,

I've updated the workflow to take 2 files (I copied the original you gave me in a directory). It does need a few changes not only in the dynamic input tool but also in the flow, as you now will get the 2 files stacked on top of each other.

On the dynamic input tool, the key is to change the Input Data Source Template (at top of configuration window) and the Field should be the FullPath (Directory of the input file) and the Action should be "Change Entire Path". These 3 things basically tell Alteryx what the file will look like, which field tells it where it is located on the disk and finally what it should do with the field location (i.e. change every time it reads a new file).

Once that is done the sheet problem should go away. Now you deal with the data - I've attached a sample workflow. I don't know how your real data will look, so it's hard to filter out unnecessary columns. I've simply now specified which fields are needed in the filter (Vendor Name & Quotation date) and made those fields to be joined to the main dataset. But this should give you a good foundation from which to work.

Best,

Tom

Example 2.png

willbutler1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you! Seriously appreciated!

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Welcome!

Labels