Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing a directory of cvs files

winnie
6 - Meteoroid

I'll have a folder of csv files, which follow the same format but with a varying number of rows at the beginning which I don't need.  (Also some stuff at the end I don't need)

I noticed the "Start Data Import on Line" option but this would be variable on how many rows of junk there are at the start.

I was thinking of making a macro so the action would be to update this value and update the file but since there's a directory, rather than just choosing a file - file browse for example I'm not sure how to do this.  It would have to read each file (and it struggles to read it properly even when I treat read errors as warnings since the number of columns for the junk is less than the columns in the actual data I want.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Assuming that you are looking to keep the "Orders" data, I would try bringing in all of the files with a single input with wildcards and no delimiter.

Then I'd filter out anything that doesn't start with a date (using RegEx for the pattern matching), and then a Text-To-Column tool with a comma delimiter.

You'd then need to add a Select tool to eliminate the "full data" field and rename your columns.

Something like the attached...

winnie
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks!  That's great, and a lot less complicated than what I had in mind.

Labels