Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing NLTK in python tool

sidneyjacobs
7 - Meteor

Dear community,

when I try to import nltk though the python jupyter notebook, it does not seem to work. According to previous posts here I should simply use the command Alteryx.installPackages("nltk"), but this gives the error

CalledProcessError: Command '['c:\\program files\\alteryx\\bin\\miniconda3\\pythontool_venv\\scripts\\python.exe', '-m', 'pip', 'install', 'nltk']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

Do I have to add a command tool in alteryx to run the alternative install given on the nltk website? This would simply run the following line:

python -m nltk.downloader all

any help is appreciated.

Sidney Jacobs

2 REPLIES 2
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @sidneyjacobs,

To install new libraries for Python tool with Alteryx Designer admin, one needs to start Designer as Administrator (see https://help.alteryx.com/current/Python.htm for reference)

This is due to the reason of location of the packages (C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\PythonTool_venv\Lib\site-packages).

To elaborate on this message, if I try on my own machine I can see the following:

From Jupyter:

python_tool_admin_error.png

If I run the workflow:

python_tool_admin_error_2.png

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

sidneyjacobs
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much!

I figured I was already running it as admin, but due to the way our drives are set up this was not the case. Worked like a charm once I moved it to the correct drive.

Sidney

Labels