Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Importing Multiple Same worksheet from multiple Excel workbooks using Directory

Inactive User
Not applicable

Ive tried following multiple discussions regarding this topic but Im not getting it. I have multiple excel files in a directory with many subdirectories, Each of the excel files  has multiple tabs. I need to import the data from one of the tabs from each of the files. The tab is named Tab1. The data on the tab in each excel workbook is in the same format. So far what Im doing is using the Directory tool to tell alteryx to browse to the location and locate all files with the .xlsx extension. When I run that step I see all the files with the browse tool, what is the next step, or steps I need to take to get it to browse to and pull in the data from Tab1? Thank you in advance, I know there are many questions surrounding this but I havent found one that gives me an answer I understand.

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You will likely benefit from the macro that can be found here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/The-Ultimate-Alteryx-Holiday-gift-of-2015-Read-ALL-Exc...

Many different files can be simultaneously read in and you can specify a sheet name or names.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Read_All_Excel_Files/58dd51b3a18e9e18fca64172

Inactive User
Not applicable

That doesnt really clarify anything unfortunately. I could almost benefit more and quicker by using power query in excel itself. Wonder why I can tell alteryx to import one sheet from an xlsx document with the input tool, but I cant simply direct it to do the same thing using the directory input, rather than making all sorts of complicated batch macros. I thought the point was to make the process smoother.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Inactive User there is nothing that you need to do other that download the macro that has already been created. It has a nice and easy to use UI that allows for a quick configuration of a directory, selection of file types, and specifying sheets. The tool then takes care of the rest. 

pic 1.png

  

pic 2.png

Labels