Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing Data From a Temp File After Using the Download Tool

Eleanor_Taylor
6 - Meteoroid

Hi!

I'm trying to use the Download tool by giving it some file links (which works just fine), saving the downloads to a temp file, and then re-importing them using the Dynamic Input tool so I can import it as a specific datatype. 

However when I try this I get the error:

Error: Dynamic Input (62): Error reading the dictionary - filename may be invalid: C:\Users\ETaylor\Desktop\TempFiles\Engine_11160_3c7785d9419c4e6badb4432a88240289_\Engine_5464_02fb84b1d4f1401e9caefc7b18ce838f_.tmp

I've tried a few different ways of referencing the files, and even changed the temp file path but can't seem to figure this out, and as there are no posts around it I don't know if I'm using this feature incorrectly! Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 🙂 

Alteryx_temp_file_fail.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is going to sound odd, but are you using Window 10? If so, do you ever copy workflow file paths by right-clicking, going to properties, security, then copying the link there? I've seen something similar that results from the hidden security character that's present in the filepaths at that location. 

Also, it's a good idea to put a Block Until Done tool between the Download and Dynamic Input tools to make sure it finishes. 

Eleanor_Taylor
6 - Meteoroid

I do have windows 10, but that's not how I've been adding the links 😕 I added in the Block Until Done tool but no luck. Maybe Alteryx adds in some security for temporary files? But if so I'm not sure why Output to a Temporary File would be an option for the Download tool :S 

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Eleanor_Taylor 

I notice that your input file for Dynamic Directory is just engine.temppath...

It probably needs to have a proper file path....I usually just use %temp%test.xlsx (just change the file extension to whatever your incoming file is) then set the input parameters (like you would importing the file from new)

Eleanor_Taylor
6 - Meteoroid

Hiya!

Thanks for the hint, I saw that Engine.TempFilePath was a constant but I doubted I was using it right. I still haven't managed to get it running though, I think I've put it in wrong? I've attatched another pic: 

Alteryx_alt_filepath.PNG

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Eleanor_Taylor 

You've set the dynamic input to use a .tmp file as the input....really it should be .csv or .xlsx something like that.

I've attached an example.

Eleanor_Taylor
6 - Meteoroid

Hey, 

Ahhh Ok I see what you mean. I've still not managed it though! I know SAS files are a bit difficult anyway, but I've attached the workflow if that helps. 

Eleanor_Taylor
6 - Meteoroid

Ahhhhh OK, I wasn't sure if it'd just be fine as an SAS file, but as they're stored as XPT I guess not. Thanks for all your help!

Labels