community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Importing Bloomberg data directly into Alteryx

Meteoroid

Hi guys,

I've read similar posts about this issue, however I did not fully understand the answers. This is my situation:

- I would like to import Bloomberg data directly into Alteryx (I have licenses for both)

- Currently I use Excel and the Bloomberg API to retrieve data from Bloomberg and import it into Excel. However, I'm trying to reduce the number of steps to get data into Alteryx so I want to remove Excel from this equation.

I believe I should use the ''Run Command'' tool for this in Alteryx, however I can't quite configure it (I am new to the whole Data Science scene). So, as an actual example, let's say I would like to retrieve the stock prices for Apple in the first 4 months of the year. In Excel this would be done using the command: =BDH("AAPL US EQUITY","PX_LAST",20170101,20170501).

My questions:

1) Would this be possible in Alteryx using the ''Run Command'' tool and how would I frame such a command in Alteryx?

2) Is this possible without any coding? I can't access any coding software at work since I'n not allowed to install anything - and requesting it will take weeks.

Thanks in advcance. 

Regards,

Robert

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @RobJanBou

Within Alteryx this is done using the download tool. This will allow you to pass it such a query (like the one you have in excel) to the Bloomberg API and pull the information down.

I would strongly recommend looking at the 'How to build your own connector guide' which will walk you through the steps to make a successful API connection. 

The other resources will need to come from their API documentation.

Hopefully, someone on the community has already attempted this and can provide more specific information on the Bloomberg side.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Quasar
Quasar

We have have built a connector to the Bloomberg API, you can download a free trial once you click the Subscribe button at:
https://www.labrosenblatt.com/

Once installed, here is a workflow with sample use cases:
https://www.labrosenblatt.com/s/SampleBloombergWorkbook.yxmd

Atom

I don't get why Alteryx wouldn't have a connector to bloomberg preconfigured. People who can pay for bloomberg can definitely pay for the software and not having a guide for this seems to be a great way to not close a lot of incremental sales. Are management really this clueless? This seems a large market opportunity they've whiffed on. 

Hi @nemoSG ,

Have you considered posting your feedback  as a feature request at https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/idb-p/product-ideas?  If the idea has already been submitted by another user, please give it your vote and add your use case in the comments.  Our product team is very engaged here.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Premium Support Advisor | Alteryx
Labels