Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Import text file to server

craigja
8 - Asteroid

I have a text file from a mainframe that I can import in designer as a fixed width file and then do some further processing on it.  Is there a way to save the width of the import so that I can run it inside an analytic app?

craigja_0-1620059211081.png

3 REPLIES 3
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Craigja!

I may need a little more context from you, but from what I have understood, you would like users to be able to select a text file (?), and it to maintain the width of the import?
Here i would have a File browse into a Input data tool, that only changes the file path:

TheOC_0-1620256670001.png

TheOC_1-1620256677834.png

This way, no other configuration is being changed, so whatever is in the input data tool stays as is when the app is run (and a new file is selected). If this isn't what you meant, please drop me a reply and let me know!

I have attached a workflow with this working.

Bulien
craigja
8 - Asteroid

Interesting - I tried just that and it didnt work - it looks like I might not need it, think I have found a source of the data I need in some Oracle tables, much easier to process!  If it turns out this is not exactly the right data, I will revisit this....

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @craigja ,
If you come back to this, give me a shout. I'm curious as to what is going wrong.

Definitely glad you found a solution however!

TheOC

Bulien
Labels