Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import only 1 sheet from multiple excel files at once

alternewbie1
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am new to Alteryx. I have over 50 files, and each of them contains 2 sheets. I want to only import 1 sheet from each of those 50 files. I used wild card method but it doesn't work. Anyone can help with this issue? Thank you in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
jcj
5 - Atom

I had a similar dilemma where the simple wildcard import would result in error on half my excel files.

This resource goes over multiple input methods, in progression of simplest to more robust. I had to resort to a batch macro, with file paths, to pull all the data correctly.

It takes a while to learn but it's a good learning exercise, and you can reuse the import macro.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alternewbie1 

Do they have the same schema?

I recommend you to read this article https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets...

There are several ones explaining how to do this.

Cheers,

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @alternewbie1 

I wanted to give you a tangible example of what @Thableaus and @jcj are referring to so that you can "see" what we are saying... hoping that this helps you 🙂 Just know there are always other ways to do this just an example that works... Note: if there is a more complex use case this example might need tweeking 😉

Enjoy!

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels