This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
I have multiple excel files that I would like to input to my workflow. They all have the same format.
Normally, this is straightforward for me. I can use a wildcard in my Input tool to grab all of the files and go.
In this case, however, I need to strip out the first row of each file before using the second row as a header.
It appears that the row issue is causing problems. When I run my workflow (just an input tool), I get a warning saying that the second file I am trying to import "has a different schema than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped." Same goes for all subsequent files.
I think I'm overlooking something, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there an easy way to strip out the first row of each file when using input on multiple files?
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try starting the data import on row 2, but had the same problem with different schemas.
Here's the odd thing: I get the schema error when using a wildcard in my Input Data (eg, importing "workbook*.xlsx"). But if I use a separate Input Data for each file (Input 1 is "workbook1.xlsx" and Input 2i is "workbook2.xlsx") and then Union them together, I have no problems at all. I could probably solve my particular problem by using Input Data ~100 times, but the whole reason behind getting Alteryx was to automate that sort of repetitive task.
I wish I had a better understanding of what the schema error really means. I've looked over my files and I'm certain they're all formatted the same. I haven't been able to find much good information about what Alteryx is looking at when it determines that the schema is not the same.
I've seen other posts in Community by users with similar issues, but nothing that seems to resolve my issue.
I experienced that once and didn't find the true cause of the issue.
One thing you can do and I guarantee it will work is to use a macro to get the files one by one and unite them automatically. I know it doesn't explain the error you are having but it is a great workaround that you will use in other workflows for sure!
I'm sharing with you a solution where I used a macro to open and concatenate all excel tabs based in its names. You could use a directory tool to get file names if it is not excel you are using.