Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import/input multiple XLS excels (not xlsx) with multiple tabs

wee
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I'm trying to input multiple xls (excel 2003 not xlsx) with many sheets within each excel files into the workflow. 

Dynamic input and CReW macro's Wildcard Xlsx input works perfectly fine on xlsx files. 

However, I'm not allowed to select the list of sheet name radio button for xls files.  

CannotSelectListOfSheetNames.PNG

Some other posts recommended converting xls files to xlsx files, but as per my company policy, I would not be able to run command prompt or exe.

Therefore, would greatly appreciate if there's any other solutions available. 

Thanks and regards,

Wee

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When writing a macro to load multiple tabs from Excel files, you rely on the fact that you can read a <List of Sheet Names>. This is not possible with XLS files, as far as I know. I think that's why most people who try this eventually give up and convert them to XLSX.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @wee

As @DavidP correctly pointed out, XLS format doesn't contain the metadata included within XLSX package which is used by Alteryx to identify the list of sheet names in the workbook.

Do the sheet names change between the files in your case? If you know what they are, you can use the Text Input tool to "hardcode" them and then proceed as you would with an XLSX file - build out a full path to the sheets (filename.xls|||SheetName$) and use the Dynamic Input tool to read all of them in.

Michal

Labels