Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import excel file when the first row is not a header

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I haven't been able to use the standard import excel option with the attached file and hoping to get suggestions for Sheet1:

• Header Record Example Date range
    • 1/1/2021 - 12/31/2021
  • Header Record Example Resource
    • Bob, Joe, Stephen
  • Detail records have the remaining columns; Date, Time Entry, Activity, Report Hours, Comment

I've included an 'Output' worksheet in the attached.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@joesparty 

binuacs_0-1644274321726.png

binuacs_1-1644274395795.png

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs that worked, thanks and I learned about Dynamic Rename.  Question, when I try to replicate you Input Data on my original file I get the following error:

The Excel archive is corrupted: shared strings root=x:sst

Have you ever encountered this error?

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@joesparty no, I did not encounter such error. I just used your excel file as input

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

Something else I noticed with your Input Data, how did you get the Table or Query to read 'Sheet1$'?  I only get Sheet1.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@joesparty 

Alteryx by defaults adds $ at the end of the sheet names.

binuacs_0-1644275020955.png

joesparty
8 - Asteroid

The error is removed when I open the excel file, select all files, double click to expand columns and save.  I'm able to match the 'Sheet1$' that you have in your Input Data.

Thanks again!

Labels