Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import Data from Specific Excel Cell

kgordish
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Almost feel silly asking this question.

Currently, working with an Excel sheet with multiple sheets. 

I want to bring the date and project name into the workflow from a "summary" sheet. 
The Excel file is a template and always the same. 

Thus, I want to bring in data specifically from B2 and B10 from the "Summary" sheet.

Can someone advise on a best practice to accomplish this?

Thanks

Kevin 

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @kgordish 

You can specify the range with your Input Data Tool.

Ex:

C:\Users\folder\file.xlsx|||'Sheet1$B2:B10'

Cheers,

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think one of the easiest ways to do this is to use Excel Named Ranges...take a look at this article on how to call the Named Range, which you will define as your Date and Project Name cells - 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets-or-a-Spe...

Brian

kgordish
8 - Asteroid

The "How to input from a specific excel range" looks like it addresses my situation.

Currently working with files with different schemas and have a macro set up to bring files in one at a time.

But since the summary slide is fixed, looks like that might work.

Thank you.

kgordish
8 - Asteroid

I ended coming up with an alternative solution.

1. Imported sheet

2. Filtered out non-necessary columns

3. Assigned ID numbers

4. Filtered by ID Numbers

5. Assigned Second ID Number afterwards (since I had only one row of data)

6. Multi-Join using Secondary ID

This allowed me to capture data from 4 distinct cells in a template form, not conducive to easy data importation.

Solution.JPG

Labels