Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import Data Truncation

Josh_
5 - Atom

My text field keeps getting truncated at 254, even after changing the field size, and the character set. Is this a version issue (we're on 10.5.9) or am I missing something?

Import DefinitionImport Definition

Meta Data for Import ResultMeta Data for Import Result

The actual results however show the red corner stating the field was truncated, and the max field size is 254.

Actual ResultActual Result

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

can you post a sample of the data with a few records please?

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Josh_
5 - Atom

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. The last screenshot shows some records from the import. I can't share the data files themselves, as they contain sensitive data.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

while the data could be sensitive, you could create dummy data that behaves the EXACT same way.  Once you create that dummy data, either you will find the issue yourself or you can post the replica issue with data so that I could solve with you.  I could also setup a webex now with you and fix it also.

Josh_
5 - Atom

I created a sample file, and it has the same results. I am attaching both file and flow.

Thanks for your help.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Josh_,

Thanks for the data....

Capture.png

The input data was read and I put a formula tool after the read to see what the true length of the field is.  The first record is 435 bytes and the second is 439.  The browse everywhere does have a message that the field is > 256 characters (a limit for the visualization).  The full data content is present in the data.

Does this help?

cheers,

Mark

Josh_
5 - Atom

That makes sense, I was just obsessing over the message itself and didn't take the time to review the actual output. Thanks for that!

Labels