Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import CSV that doesn't start on the first row?

buchanan_ben
5 - Atom

Hi there, 
I have a large (2GB) CSV file, and unfortunately for some reason the first 3 rows contain some notes. The headers are in row 4, and the data is all below that. Is there anyway in Alteryx to import this data and skip the first 3 rows and use row 4 for headers?

Thanks so much
Ben

15 REPLIES 15
cbridges
11 - Bolide

It still says it's an unknown file type, even though the macro itself is (almost) working. I'll keep playing around with it...

@thizviz
cbridges
11 - Bolide

I'm inching closer to a solution. Turns out I can convert my files to yxdb with no additonal tools, so as long as I do that one step first, I can continue my processing from there (so the macro will read it). Next question... how many rows I skip and how many columns I parse will depend on what file I bring in. Is there a way, in a macro, to make a drop-down that feeds a lookup table for the macro? Like this:

Select ReportRows to SkipColumns to Parse
Ship1016
Open1812
Fill1819

Where rows to skip and columns to parse would update based on my report selection?

@thizviz
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Got it! Thanks to the recent webinar on chained apps, I learned how to set up my macro so all I need to do is connect the incoming file and select the type of report I'm processing and voila! It's all automated from there. This is a welcome upgrade from my previous process, although I'd still like to see the simlicity of just telling Alteryx what row the headers are on.

@thizviz
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Un.freaking.believable.

Sometimes I'm a little slow...

@JohnJPS I re-read the comments in this article:

http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Community-News/Alteryx-Hangout-There-s-more-to-Alteryx-than-...

Lo and behold, the answer was sitting right there! Excel has no problems parsing my weird .prn files when I use comma AND tab delimited. So in Alteryx if I designate NO delimiters in the input tool and change the text to columns tool to delimit at comma AND tab, as suggested in @CailinS comment, whammo! A multi-tool process turns into a 3 tool process... input, parse, strip quotes. Done. Wow. I can't believe it took me this long to have this basic revelation!

Uber kudos for that tip, @CailinS!

@thizviz
CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Good stuff! I myself was pretty stunned! But the kudos are not mine alone! The tip was shared on an SE meeting by @ScottG who picked it up from a workflow @RichardS built!

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
cbridges
11 - Bolide

I am delighted to report that by importing my weird .prn files as built-in type .csv, specifying that the first row contains field names, and seeting "Start Data Import on Line" (which is a recent addition) to the line where my field names start, it WORKS! I'm back to 1-tool import for these weirdo files, and I appreciate it!

Now I'm going to build an app so "Start Data Import on Line" can be designated by the type of report I'm importing.

You've made me happy!

@thizviz
Labels