Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Image as background on map

3P-RHN
5 - Atom

Hello there!

This is a bit of a tricky one, and I'm going to be using a tool for something completely out of its intended purpose.

I have a need to place some points on an image, with different colour or other indication, based on a value.

I realised the map tool could do 90% of this, as shown here:

3P-RHN_0-1613649526672.png

But! Placing these on a map of the world is not what I seek; I need to place these points on an image, such as:

3P-RHN_1-1613649623737.jpeg

So the resulting image would be something like (though with different points):

3P-RHN_2-1613649769433.png

And put this in a report, just like the map tool can do.

The image would need to be replaced automagically when a test is run, from a file (probably .png or the like).

Does anyone know if/how this could be possible?

I no longer have anything I used to test and create the first image, sorry 🙂

Cheers for the help!

- RHN

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @3P-RHN 

I do a lot of spatial and reporting, unique challenges are fun, but I don't see a path to making this work like you might hope. 

It is possible to customize the base map from other mapping sources:

"Alternative mapping APIs are possible, but they are not supported.  

1. You can view the parameters of the Carto web map tile service here: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\MapServer. 
  2. You'd likely want to install the new .map files somewhere else so they aren't overwritten with each product update.  
  3. You'll also need to add an .ini file for each new mapping dataset to here: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\Maps.  You may want to look at GlobeXplorer.ini for a reference."

So if there's another map tile API to use, this can be used as a guide. Now that doesn't solve this problem, but may give insight into how imagery is retrieved for the base maps.

If you have the spatial data packages, it may also be possible to "gain inspiration" from those install files.

Even if you do get the image loaded, I'm not sure how you'll handle the zooming. Base maps support dozens of zoom layers, and since this application would only have one, you'll need to force everything to that layer.

3P-RHN
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie!

Thanks for the reply, i might have a look at learning the mapping api stuff at a later date then, as it was purely a nice-to-have thing, and we might be able to find a completely different method.

I will be sure to post my findings here, if we get to some solution.

Again, cheers for the help!

- RHN

Labels