Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Image Input

bradley_slaughter
8 - Asteroid

I have a folder with a series of .png file extensions.  I want to read those images in and join them to my data via the filename.  When I try to read the files in using the image tool I receive the following error:

Error: Render (14): Error parsing Image: Not a PNG file

To my knowledge the files are PNG.

Does anyone know of a way to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks for the help!

10 REPLIES 10
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you right click and look at the image properties, what does it say? Is there any other file in the folder with the same naming convention, but a different file type?

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

bradley_slaughter
8 - Asteroid

It identifies the file as a .png.  All files in the folder have a the same naming convention and file type.  I get the error when I try to pull in a single files as well.  I have tried a few things already: changing the file type to a different extension, downloading a random .png from the internet to test.  Downloading a random png works.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

How have the images been created? I'm wondering if they were corrupted somehow. Can you open them in other programs?

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl

bradley_slaughter
8 - Asteroid

To test your thought, I opened the file in GIMP and "overwrite .png".  When I completed the overwrite, I was able to bring the picture in.  There are 564 pictures though, so that is not a sustainable method.

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

That sounds painful. At this point I would recommend opening a support ticket to see if your images are an edge case that needs to be corrected, since they can be opened in other programs.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl

bradley_slaughter
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the help!

sudhar46
7 - Meteor

Hi Team, 

Is there a way in Alteryx designer to read the data from the Image and store them in Rows and columns ? 

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

This would be best asked as a new question @sudhar46, but I would use the Python tool (you'd need to create custom code) to read the pixels into a dataframe then bring that into Alteryx.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl

sudhar46
7 - Meteor

Yes i knew that i will have to finally end up with Python tool only but wanted to check if there are any other possibilities (without coding can this be done) . Thanks Stephen for your response.  

Labels