Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

If expression locked to 64 characters?

Saarek
7 - Meteor

I have a relatively simple formula, but there is almost certainly a better way to achieve my end result.

The formula, pasted below, works as expected apart from the fact that the output only exports to a maximum of 64 characters.

Around 20% of my results will be higher than 64 characters and so I find the output frequently cuts off the data. As the fields are set to VWString the character limit should be in the thousands and so I am confused as to why this formula will only output a maximum of 64 characters, any ideas?

if [Referral Reason Count] = "1" then [Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "2" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "3" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#3_Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "4" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#3_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#4_Referral Reason] elseif [Referral Reason Count] = "5" then [Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#2_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#3_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#4_Referral Reason] + ", " + [Input_#5_Referral Reason] else "" endif

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Saarek,

Please check the data type definition for this new field and make sure that it is also a VWString with a length greater than 64 bytes.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Saarek
7 - Meteor

Hi Mark,

Each of the inputs are set as VW String, none of them individually current exceed 64 characters.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

yes, but could you take a screenshot of the configuration tool for the formula that you're writing.  This is potentially a new field [All the reasons] where you define that field as 64 bytes long.

Saarek
7 - Meteor

So simple, you were right it had limitted the new field to 64. I assume dAlteryx would automatically set the limit to the maximum, still quite new to the application.

Thank you for your help.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Saarek,

I am sending you an alternative way of computing the reason field.  Please note that the field has a huge potential width.

Cheers,

Mark

Saarek
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the upload, I'll study it and learn from it.

Labels