Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

If Contains In-DB Formula

nsandhu
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Experts,

I am trying to do some text parsing using IN-DB tool. Where I need to find out a word in a line like

CASE
WHEN contains (`text_line`, "ABC") THEN "ABC"

ELSE "Unknown"
END

But it is ending up in an error message like Syntax error and No IN-DB Database Data Received.

Please suggest.

2 REPLIES 2
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @nsandhu 

This really would depend on the DB you're connecting to as CONTAINS may not be a valid function.

You could try:

CASE
WHEN `text_line` LIKE "%ABC%" THEN "ABC"

ELSE "Unknown"
END

If that doesn't work, use an Filter In-DB tool and see how it would generate the expression.

Edit: added wildcard to the like expression. Also, (depending on the DB) this may also be case sensitive.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Ensure you're using the correct field name syntax in the SQL query - I'd recommend inserting the fields using the built in drop down. 

echuong1_0-1577118201501.png

Also, if you use the "like" function, ensure you include the wildcard % character to look for all values containing the specified string. 

Hope this helps!

Labels