Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identifying Number of Days in a Given Period for Each Fiscal Year

jeffr3
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm trying to identify the following:

I have a start date column and an end date column. I need to find the number of days falling into each Fiscal Year range. FY goes from 06.01 - 05.31 for every year (2020.06.01 would be first day of FY21).

For example, if a given row has a start date of 05.30.2020 and end date of 06.03.2020, then I need it to spit out FY20 # days = 2 and FY21 # days = 3.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Shifty
12 - Quasar

To answer your question "Is it possible?"... this is Alteryx, of course it's possible.  

Whether I can help you is another question!  I've given it a bash all the same - see attached workflow.  

Shifty_0-1620758976987.png

Essentially we start with an input dataset which is similar (at least I hope) to what you've described in your question.  I've then converted the two date columns to date formats, generated a row for each date between the start date and the end date and then used a Formula tool to determine the fiscal year of each.

Shifty_1-1620759106288.png

Hope this helps!  If not, I will call in the cavalry for you (@mceleavey  @TheOC)

Shifty

PS/ year end looming? 😁

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @jeffr3 ,

I would use a generate rows tool to generate all dates between your start and end date, and then with a formula tool I would flag the fiscal year they belong to

AngelosPachis_0-1620759800555.png

Hope that helps, let me know if that worked for you or if you have any question on the workflow.

Cheers,

Angelos

jeffr3
5 - Atom

Hi! Thanks for this. Would it be possible to have the data in one row? I'm looking across 3 FYs, and for each row containing two dates, I need Alteryx to spit out 3 columns calculating the # days falling into each FY.

jeffrhee_2-1620759777216.png

Really appreciate your help!

Shifty
12 - Quasar

No worries, @jeffr3.  If you need the number of days in each year so you can apportion costs etc. then you can just add a Summarize tool and group by Fiscal:

Shifty_0-1620760273902.png

Shifty_0-1620760530692.png

Cheers,

Shifty

Shifty
12 - Quasar

Having re-read your follow up question, @jeffr3, I've tried something a little different to get you what you need.

It's a little more complicated now but I think gets you the breakdown you're after:

Shifty_2-1620761509798.png

Shifty_1-1620761457507.png

Let me know if this helps!

Shifty

PS/ 2020 was a leap year hence the 366. 

PPS/ if this helps please mark the response as a solution. Cheers!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@AngelosPachis  awesome solution - I got caught up in weeds of of the datetimeformat %j qualifier... one quick thing - a summarize tool at the end might be easier for @jeffr3 

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Cool solution @Shifty ! Glad you didn't have to call in the backup 😁

Bulien
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Perfect solution, @Shifty 

Glad you didn't have to distract me from my unbelievably thrilling and comprehensive social life.

M.

Bulien

jeffr3
5 - Atom

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much! 

Labels