community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Identify values in the row of a table and then find the replacement value in another table

Meteoroid

Hello, so i have a situation where I need to replace values in a table. Here is my example.

I have a table with the following data:

User idFirst nameLast name
01TomThom
02JerryHerry
311RickSteven
312JonasJordan

The ids' 311 and 312 are leftover from a legacy system. However, we do have a table with the new and old legacy systems id's

New systemOld system

I need to automatically search the ID field in the first table to identify the old system id's (312, 311) and replace them with the corresponding Id's in the new system, iN this CASE, replace 312 and 311 with  ID'S 03 and 04.  IF no equivalent id's are found, then the cell should remain empty. I know I need to do a join but not sure what to do without having to do a manual search and replace. 

Thanks

Asteroid

I think you should use Find Replace tool. You can also use dynamic rename tool to update old names with new ones.

Highlighted
Meteor

You want the find replace tool.

If you look at the examples included within the tool they will show you a pattern for solving this problem.

AWIFLiKKUK.png

Meteor

FindReplace will be tedious to use if you have lots of replaces to do. Best practice is to use a join.

Find attached my workflow which is a join based solution for your problem.

NB: My workflow keeps the ID as is rather than making it blank if no equivalent ID's are found. I'm sure you can figure this part out, if not, let me know and I'll help you out.

Labels