Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

General Discussions has some can't miss conversations going on right now! From conversations about automation to sharing your favorite Alteryx memes, there's something for everyone. Make it part of your community routine!

Identify type of location field

PeterV
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

We have a field with a 'geom' type containing data similar to "0101000020E610000069520ABABDA4C13F2A5778978BA04A40" which I am led to believe is a location. Does anyone know if Alteryx can handle these and or if (and possible where....) this would need to be pre-processed first?

Kind regards,

Peter

ScottJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Peter, is this from a SQL spatial file.  You may need to import as a BLOB, or specify that it is a spatial database.  Check out this great Knowledge Base, it may offer some ideas.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
PeterV
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Not too sure if that helps as I believe it is something called WKB (Well Known Binary) format. This means:

"The well-known binary representation for OGC geometry (WKBGeometry), provides a portable representation of a geometry value as a contiguous stream of bytes. It permits geometry values to be exchanged between an ODBC client and an SQL database in binary form.

Functions are provided in the SQL, JAVA, and C-API to import and export the well-known binary representation of geometry.

The well-known binary representation of geometry defines an encoding for 2D simple feature geometry as defined by the OpenGIS Simple Features Specification for SQL, and ISO 19125. This encoding does not support elevations, measures, CAD, or annotation.

The well-known binary representation is a contiguous stream of bytes. It permits geometry to be exchanged between an ODBC client and an SQL database in binary form. Because these geometry functions require the definition of C structures to map the binary representation, they’re intended for use within a 3GL program and aren’t suited to a 4GL environment."

So the question is how does Alteryx cope with this if at all?

Kind regards,

Peter

steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

Hi Peter

Have you got any further idea on how Alteryx handle WKB? I came across WKB recently, as I got some error message when writing Alteryx SpatialObj to SQL Server.  With an OleDB connection to SQL server, I am writing the SpatialObj (stored as a column in yxdb) to either geometry or geography to SQL server. 

My observation is that Alteryx handles SpatialObj in WGS84 projection, and store it as Alteryx Text format and potentially WKB. The Alteryx Text format is similar to WKT (but with different format), and can be viewed by change the SpatialObj type to V_String. (Side  issue: There are 4 options for defining  spatial object in Alteryx, Spatial Obj, Spatial Obj : forced, Blob and V_String; it some WKB may be interpreted as Blob if the setup is incorrect) 

I don't know how Alteryx and SQL server communicate, but sometimes, I get error message saying "The well-known binary (WKB) input is not valid", I think Alteryx is translating the SpatialObj into WKB before loading to SQL server. The spatial part of Alteryx operation is less transparent compared to other functions. Hope to know more about how Alteryx handles spatial data. I would also update my post to add information on WKB  

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Support-WKT-as-Spatial-object-output-spatial-...

Labels