Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identify the max value in a row, and add a column that gives the column name of this max

GraceK_dup_114
7 - Meteor

Hi again, 

I have a table with an ID in first column and numbers in the rest of the columns. I would like to create another column "R_ID", where for each row, it would look for the biggest number of the row and put in my R_ID the name of the column that contained the biggest number of the row.

For example :

ID  colA colB colC     =>   R_ID

l1     34     -5    12              colA

l2      6      10     4              colB      

Do you have an idea about how to create such a "R_ID" colum? 

BR,

Grace

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This should do it,

cheers

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @GraceK_dup_114 ,

Something like this would work. If you want to account for cases where multiple columns share the highest value you can use Summarize instead.

Cheers,

Jamie

-----

If I've answered your question please consider marking this solution as accepted. Thank you!

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Beat me to it :-)

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Both solutions work, but maybe yours is even prittier (like it more than mine for sure)

:)

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @GraceK_dup_114,

I have a couple approaches in the attached solution.

• One uses mulit-row formula, which is quick and easy if you have a small set of columns and can "hard code" a quick solution.
  • The other is more generic: if you transpose the data, your columns become rows, then use the Summarize tool to get the row-wise max value; then just join that back to the original dataset.

Hope that helps!

[edit: geez, I'm slow]

Labels