Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identify duplicate Parent Child Combinations

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

I have parent PBS and Child PBS, how do I identify which are repeated multiple times?

9 REPLIES 9
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jakaur32 

It is a bit tough to know what your data looks like without a sample, but maybe take a look at the Unique tool in the Preparation tool category. This has two outputs, one with unique values, and one with all of the duplicates. 

As for the Parent and Child values, can you give context as to how this data is structured? Maybe provide a sample or screenshot. 

I hope this helps!

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

So, I have attached a sample file from which I have to extract the usages that are highlighted in yellow.. all the level zeros which are preceded by 1 or whatever number. in excel I used to insert an extra column between my data. and I would use the following formula: =ifa2>a3, true, false. and then I would just filter in on all the true values. I have not had any luck in alteryx so far. Thank you.

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

suppose i have extracted all level 0s that are preceded by 1 and there are duplicated level 0s, how do i extract level 0 duplicates?

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Have you tried using the filter tool to do what you did in excel?

You wouldn't need your if statement, you would simply need...

[Field1] > [Field2]

Instances where this is true would then flow into the true stream
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think that you may need to leverage a multi row formula from the way you have presented your problem. Can you take a look at the attached workflow and see if this helps? Just point the input file at the sample data on your desktop that you sent over. 

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

that worked.. my next issue is finding duplicate usages in rows greater than 0. But i still have to maintain the structure, suppose i have 011 and my second 1 is a duplicate i need to extract that and also get 01 that isn't a duplicate as well.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Would you be able to share an Excel file with the calculations that you normally use? That helps a lot with building out the Alteryx equivalent. 

jakaur32
8 - Asteroid

honestly, ive not done that part in Excel before

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maybe you can help us understand what you mean by duplicate usages in rows greater than 0? 

For instance:

levelprefixbasesuffix
1abg
1abh

From these fields, what do you consider a duplicate? Maybe you can provide an example of what your input looks like and what your desired output would look like. 

Labels