Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identify differences within one data set

fialajames
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I am trying to build a workflow where I am looking for differences in investment elections by money type for participants (PPTs).  The goal is to identify PPTs who are electing to send their retirement contributions to different funds by the source.  For example:

PPT 1 - 

Pre-Tax Dollars / 100% / Fund ABCD

Roth Dollars / 100% / Fund DEFG

Match Dollars / 50% / Fund XYZ

Match Dollars / 50% / Fund TUV

PPT 2 - 

Pre-Tax Dollars / 50% / Fund ABCD

Pre-Tax Dollars / 50% / Fund DEFG

Roth Dollars / 50% / Fund ABCD

Roth Dollars / 50% / Fund DEFG

Match Dollars / 50% / Fund ABCD

Match Dollars / 50% / Fund DEFG

In this example, PPT 2 is directing all of their dollars to the same funds and the same amount regardless of money type.  PPT 1 is directing the dollars to different funds depending on the money type.  I need to build a workflow that identifies differences in allocation % or fund by money type.  I have attached a canvas with a text input that mirrors the format I am working with.  Any help getting me away from the circles I keep running in is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any and all help. 

5 REPLIES 5
zakellaoui
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello, 

Thank you for your question. 

Could you please share an example on how you want to see the results of the workflow you're trying to build ? 

An excel format is fine. 

Best,

Zak

fialajames
5 - Atom

I essentially want to separate the two PPTs from each other into two separate files.  I would like for PPTs with multiple investment elections to filter into one output file (CSV or Excel will work) and PPTs with the same investment elections by source to go to the other output file.  

zakellaoui
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks, 

You can sort your data by "SSN" and then create two samples by number of rows that separate your dataset. 

OR 

You can use the filter tool to separate your PPT. 

Here a workflow with the first solution. Does this answer your question ? 

fialajames
5 - Atom

Not exactly.  The actual data files I am working with vary in number of PPTs, number of Money types for the plan, and fund line ups/choices.  One file could have 500 PPTs allocating across 6 money types and 22 funds where another plan could have 5,000 PPTs allocating across 15 money types and 35 funds.  I need something that will separate the PPTs (regardless of how many) into 2 categories.  Category 1 is allocations are the same (Investment Option and Percent) for each money type.  Category 2 is allocations are not the same (Investment Option and Percent) for each money type. 

fialajames
5 - Atom

I think I found my solution.  Thank you for your help! In this workflow the J output would spit out PPTs with different elections and the R output will spit out the PPTs with the same elections. 

Labels