Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

INPUT DATA LIMITATIONS?

spetkae09
8 - Asteroid

I am working on a project where basically i need to use the input data tool to import a csv file for every day of the month. is there any easier way to do this than to open 30 input data icons then doing a join on all 20 of them? it seems like maybe i could actually just chose input data one time and highlight all the files i need but that didnt work. its just that it takes a long time to drag 30 data inputs in then join them all.  they are just CSV files.  there must be an easier way thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can use a dynamic input tool to load a set of files.

It takes a list and load them all. It can be configured to include the filename as an entry one very row as well.

There is also a Directory Tool which will search a folder for a list of files.

The combination of the two should allow you to do what you need

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

Depending on the file name and location you can even use a standard input tool for this. For example if you have a number of csv's on the the C drive named Sales_20160101.csv, Sales_20160102.csv, ..., Sales_20160309.csv you could enter C:\Sales_*.csv in a standard input tool and all files would be picked up and merged.

If your files don't have a consistent naming convention, aren't in the same location or should only be picked up based on another attribute (i.e. only those created in March) then use the Dynamic Input Tool as jdunkerly79 suggests.

Simona
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Just make sure you collect all your data inside the same folder and just use the INPUT TOOL to recall all of them at the same time (this is a great Alteryx functionality)!

For example, if you get the all the files in a folder called "All my csv files" on your desktop just select one of the files in that folder, get rid of the name and just leave *.cvs in the input tool configuration (see image below). Then just run the workflow!

img1.png

img2.png

Labels