community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

Gather all 9 clues to complete the final Weekly Challenge on Dec 16!

Learn More

IN-DB View Query Performance Issue - Unknown Field

Atom

Hello,

I am a new user to Alteryx.

I have a handful of queries setup as views in my group's SQL Server Database.

My objective is to dump the results of these views in Excel using Alteryx. I am not looking to rewrite the queries in Alteryx because there is no benefit to it right now.

For the most part, this has been easy, a simple 2 step workflow per query. However, there are a handful of queries that hang forever in Alteryx. Alteryx does not freeze, it just sits there processing forever.

These queries/views do not return a large amount of data compared to the queries that work (something like 8k to 14k), nor do they contain a larger number of columns (10 to 12). They may be slightly more complex in terms of what they do but they generally execute within 30 to 60 seconds through the database server.

Simply using IN-DB tools did not make a difference compared to the standard In/Out tools which I was initially using.

I did find a way to make them work but I do not understand why it works.

In the IN-DB Selection tool there is a field called *Unknown. Disabling this field allows the workflow to complete within seconds.

So, my question is why does having it selected make my workflow slow?

I understand that it is there to ensure that new columns are included in the future or something, but normally I would not even have the selection tool there. I do not need to select anything further because the input tool already specifies to bring back everything from the view. It is redundant but the only way it works for me.

Picture1.pngThank you,

Scott Chaney

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@scchaney,

Please do 2 things:

1. Remove the browse and see if it is better.
  2. Add a Dynamic Output In-DB tool and output the Query

Now run and compare with/without the UNKNOWN checked to see if there is a query difference.  That's how I would diagnose the issue.  If the query doesn't show you a difference and you can run the query via another tool quicker, then I would also check the connection strings to make sure that they are the same/similar.

Just a few thoughts,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Labels