Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF rows in column A match, then take the smallest value in column B

ew87
7 - Meteor

I currently have a set of data where Column A is a list of names, and Column B is a value (i.e. 4, 0, 25). I need to have the workflow set up so that if there is a duplicate value in Column A (i.e. John B. Scott is listed three separate times), it takes the lowest value for that name from Column B.

Any suggestions? I've tried playing with multi-row formulas, formulas, and filters and searching the community for a similar scenario but no success.

4 REPLIES 4
ravisharma
7 - Meteor

Hi @ew87 

Could you try with attached workflow, this might help in getting lowest value from column B. 

This one is without using Multi row tool. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @ew87 

Here's what you're looking for.  The Summarize finds the min value and Count by Name.  That's joined back to the original data putting the respective min and count on each row and the formula tool does the rest.   I set the formula tool to create a new column(NewValue), but you can set it to replace the Value column instead.

Resultworkflow

The RecordId is there to be able to restore the original order after the join tool messes it up.

Dan

ew87
7 - Meteor

This worked well and much more simply than I was trying to make it. I'm new to Alteryx so this was really helpful for me to see the logic behind this route.Thank you!!

ew87
7 - Meteor

This also worked and will be great as the data becomes more complex. Definitely saving the flow for future use. Thank you!

Labels