Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF isnull with and

Number4
8 - Asteroid

This is a snippet from a nested if statement:  IF IsNull([5]) AND IsNull([6]) AND [1] = [2] = [3] = [4] then 1 else 2 endif results in a 2 when I'd expect a 1.

If I can get this to work, the full statement should, which just accounts for nulls in up to 5 columns.

Perhaps there's an easier way.  I want to know if all the cells that aren't Null contain the same data or value (in the example, it would be columns 1-4.)

Not all rows have data in all columns, but the Nulls are always to the right.

If And.PNG

Formula SS.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The syntax as...

[1]=[2] AND [2]=[3] AND [3]=[4] 

works how you would like @Number4 

rarmstrong
8 - Asteroid

Try

IF IsNull([5])

AND IsNull([6])

AND [1] = [2]

AND [2] = [3]

AND [3] = [4]

then 1 else 2 endif

Number4
8 - Asteroid

Okay, so this fixes it:

IF Isnull([5]) AND isnull([6]) AND [1] = [2] AND [1] = [3] AND [1] = [4] then 1 else 2 endif

Is there a way to make [1] = [2] =[3] = [4] work instead?

Number4
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @BenMoss and @rarmstrong.  You both came up with what I figured out as well, hadn't seen your posts before posting mine.

Is there a way to group them instead?

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The way you are asking suggests your actual problem/data is a bit more complex than the example and thus this logic may be tiresome to implement.

I may advise something different if we understood the wider piece that you are trying to resolve.

But it does not seem [1]=[2]=[3] will work as a logical statement and return TRUE as you wish.

Ben

Labels