Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF formula question with an empty value in column

lgomezsgre
6 - Meteoroid

Hello - I am trying to create a formula where if the cell is not empty (e.g. WBS element) then would like to bring its value to a new column called 'WBES' (attached workflow). The WBS element is alphanumeric (ex. US/1995). I cannot seem to find a formula that will work. Please let me know if you can assist! Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

In Alteryx formulas, the syntax for "is not null" and "is not empty" are:

!isnull(

!isempty(

If you could share a few fields of sample data, we could help in testing the formula. 

lgomezsgre
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to pull the following info using the no empty cells formulas.

If the column called 'PC category' and the column 'Order' is not empty, then give me the last 7 digits of the column 'WBS Short' and create a new column called 'WBSE". Otherwise, the cells can remain blank. In addition, If the column called 'PC category' and the column 'WBS Element  is not empty, then give me the last 7 digits of the column 'WBS Element' and insert the value on the new column created 'WBSE'. Otherwise, cells can remain blank. Please see attached result of workflow in excel where the 'WBSE' data pulled from 'WBSE Element' formula but no values from the 'Order' formula were pulled into the 'WBSE' column.  Please kindly advise what am I missing in the formula. Thank you!!!

lgomezsgre
6 - Meteoroid

hi, do you have any input on the below?

I am still trying to pull the following info using the no empty cells formulas. 

If the column called 'PC category' and the column 'Order' is not empty, then give me the last 7 digits of the column 'WBS Short' and create a new column called 'WBSE". Otherwise, the cells can remain blank. In addition, If the column called 'PC category' and the column 'WBS Element  is not empty, then give me the last 7 digits of the column 'WBS Element' and insert the value on the new column created 'WBSE'. Otherwise, cells can remain blank. Please see attached result of workflow in excel where the 'WBSE' data pulled from 'WBSE Element' formula but no values from the 'Order' formula were pulled into the 'WBSE' column.  Please kindly advise what am I missing in the formula in the snapshots below. Thank you!!!

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

In order to create a column you should look to use the formula tool; your statement would look something like...

IF [PC Category] = "Project CC Expense" AND !ISEMPTY([Order]) THEN RIGHT([WBS Short],7)

//Check to see if the PC Category field equals "Project CC Expense" and the Order fields is not empty, if so return the right 7 digits of the WBS Short field.

ELSEIF [PC Category] = "Project CC Expense" AND !ISEMPTY([WBS Element]) THEN RIGHT([WBS Element],7)

//If that check fials, then check to see if the PC Category equals "Project CC Expense" and the WBS Elemnt field is not empty, if so return the right 7 digits of the WBS Element field

ELSE NULL()

//If both tests are false then return the value NULL

ENDIF

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

In your question you ask for the last 7 digits, but in your Excel it looks like you want the firs 7 digits, in which case you should use LEFT where I have written RIGHT.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The problem with your excel image is that you are overwriting your initial WBSE value created with the top value, with the result of the bottom formula; which is why you need to use an elseif rather than have them seperate.

Ben

lgomezsgre
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, thank you so much!

Labels