community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

IF equation ignoring case - BUG ??

Alteryx Partner

For all the time I've used Alteryx, I thought that IF "test" = "TEST" would evaluate to false.  Today I realised that isn't the case and I was surprised !!!   I contacted @MarqueeCrew and he almost fell over saying "that isn't right".

So ... I'm very surprised that "equals" performs like it does, I've supplied some workarounds but when did this functionality change ?

2019-05-17 21_33_52-Alteryx Designer x64 - testing for upper case only.yxmd.png

Alteryx Certified Partner

Good knowledge share! When testing string matches, it looks like a good idea to force case with a couple uppercase( functions.

@cmcclellan wrote:

So ... I'm very surprised that "equals" performs like it does, I've supplied some workarounds but when did this functionality change ?

Just for fun, I decided to test this in the oldest version I could easily install: 6.2. The results were consistent with later versions, except for "Contains(" which didn't exist at this time.

20190517-TextEquals6.2.png

Highlighted
Director, Customer Enablement
Director, Customer Enablement

Nice investigation @CharlieS!

I think the easiest way provided changing casing upstream of the formula so you don't have to jump through formulaic hoops. However, if case is critical to your analysis, with a little more work you can use the regexmatch function which has a case sensitivity parameter:

if REGEX_Match([a],"TEST",0)=-1
then "[a] is upper case"
else "[a] is NOT upper case"
endif
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'm also measuring stunned silence here.  Well... at least the Unique tool is respecting case. :-)

Edit... I've attached a formula plug-in with case sensitive IsUpper, IsLower and AreEqual.

Alteryx Partner

@CharlieS wrote:

Just for fun, I decided to test this in the oldest version I could easily install: 6.2. The results were consistent with later versions, except for "Contains(" which didn't exist at this time.

I'm even more amazed by that, I was sure a few years ago that it was case sensitive.  Anyway, better to know now than not ! 

Labels