Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF / ELSEIF / ENDIF struggle - translating Excel Nested IF Statement into Alteryx

AboutBlank
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all,

Getting straight into it, I am try to replicate something akin to the following Nested IF Excel statement in Alteryx.

The Excel formula is ugly but essentially saying, if the MTM is greater than 0, apply a bunch of if statements, then for those less than 0 apply a bunch of if statements. 

=IF(DC10="Long",IF(CZ10=DB10,CY10,IF(ISNUMBER(DE10),DE10,IF(ISNUMBER(CY10),CY10,"No Trade"))),IF(CZ10=DB10,DA10,IF(ISNUMBER(DF10),DF10,IF(ISNUMBER(DA10),DA10,"No Trade"))))

Starting a bunch of If statements pertaining to the MTM less than 0 is what I am struggling with, i.e the bold part in the formula above. Appreciate its quite hard to visualize but hope I was clear enough to get some help. I have got to the below in Alteryx.

IF [MTM USD]>0 THEN
IF [Buy Date]=[Sell Date] THEN [Buy Price]
ELSEIF IsNumber([Adjusted Sell Price]) THEN [Adjusted Sell Price]
ELSEIF IsNumber([Buy Price]) THEN [Buy Price]
ELSE "New Trade" ENDIF.... Now how do I give conditions for all MTM<0...
I am greeted with a Malformed if statement.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisHe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @AboutBlank ,

Nested IF statements in AYX can be a little bit tricky.  I've attached a workflow as well but in general it would look something like this:

IF [MTM USD]>0 THEN

(IF [Buy Date]=[Sell Date] THEN [Buy Price]
ELSEIF IsNumber([Adjusted Sell Price]) THEN [Adjusted Sell Price]
ELSEIF IsNumber([Buy Price]) THEN [Buy Price]
ELSE "New Trade" ENDIF)

ELSEif [MTM USD]<0 then

(IF ... whatever you want for mtm usd <0  ENDIF)

ELSE "whatever something gets if it matches nothing"
endif

The main missing piece I often forget is that each actual IF statement itself needs an ENDIF and an ELSE somewhere.  So your statement needs at least 3 of each.  Let me know if this helps!

-Chris

AboutBlank
6 - Meteoroid

Chris - you are just fantastic and a testament to this community. Thank you so much for taking the time to create a flow - so far it looks like exactly what I need. Superb!

Labels