Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF Contains alphanumeric, numeric

fabs
6 - Meteoroid

I have the following data in one column. now on the next column, the following shall be met:

• if the cell contains Alpha-Numeric then column B should be valued A; 
  • if the cell contains numbers only then column B should be valued B
  • if the cell starts with BD then column B should be valued C 

been using formula and contain but I really couldn't get it right, any help is MUCH appreciated!

column A
ABC1234
BD1234
6 REPLIES 6
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @fabs, how does this look? Works for your example but let me know if there are any issues when testing! Workbook attached.

DataNath_0-1653646430293.png

Edit: If there are instances where there may be records with special characters or non-alphanumerics then I've added another rule to catch and null these. If you'd rather they were labelled instead then just replace the null() with 'D' for example.

DataNath_0-1653646875964.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@fabs One way of doing this

binuacs_0-1653646834126.png

fabs
6 - Meteoroid

@DataNath HUGE thanks man!!! 😎 Just had few additional roadblocks tho. There some cells that says "UNKNOWN" and that should be valued to C. and if column A is blank, column B should also be blank. 

I tried adding Contains(column A, "UNKNOWN") after Startswith function, but it's still returning "A" value. and for the null values, its giving me "B" value, but it should remain as blank. 

DataNath
17 - Castor

No worries @fabs - thanks for the clear explanation of the rules! How does this look? Amended workflow attached.

DataNath_0-1653650119628.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@fabs workflow attached as per your requirement

binuacs_0-1653650391378.png

fabs
6 - Meteoroid

this helped a lot! thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels