Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF A and B are null

ew87
7 - Meteor

I know this is likely a simple solution that I'm just not thinking of, but I'm stuck. I have two columns, A and B. I'm creating a new column C that should work like this:

If column A is null, then use the value from column B. If column A AND B are both null, then input "N/A". Otherwise, use the value from column A.

This is the formula that is not working:

if IsNull([ColumnA]) THEN [ColumnB] ELSEIF (IsNull([ColumnB]) AND IsNull([ColumnA])) THEN "N/A" ELSE [ColumnA] ENDIF

Appreciate any help to get this working!

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi ew87,

This might be what you want,

wfwf

ashishkhurana
7 - Meteor

Order of your If statement is not correct. you should first check for null values in both A &B Columns. And in the next "if-else" statement, you should check if A is null and B is not null then column A else column A

Structure of IF-ELSE Statement:

IF A= Null() and B= Null() then "N/A"

elseif A=Null() and B!=Null() then [B]

else [A]

Endif

If my post helped you in solving your doubt then please give me a star to appreciate my time and efforts

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If A and B are the same when populated you could also use,

wfwf

ew87
7 - Meteor

All of these methods worked - thank you! I knew it had to be something with the way I was formatting my IF statement. Great to learn the other ways to achieve the same results as well.

Labels