Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IBM DB2 Iseries Field Names and Field Descriptions

bchunn01
7 - Meteor

Just started using Alteryx this week.  My input data source is IBM DB2 tables on a AS400.  I can use either OleDB or ODBC driver to access the tables to build queries with the Visual Query Builder.  However, the field names which are 6 digit names are shown (below).  Wondering if anyone has a method for displaying the longer field descriptions instead of just the cryptic field name?

Field Names (example)

FieldNames.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@bchunn01 I run these 2 queries every night to save out the table descriptions and column descriptions:

Table descriptions: 
Select SYSTEM_TABLE_SCHEMA, TABLE_NAME, varchar(TABLE_TEXT, 50) As TABLE_DESC From QSYS2.SYSTABLES

Column descriptions: 
Select SYSTEM_TABLE_SCHEMA, TABLE_NAME, COLUMN_NAME, varchar(COLUMN_TEXT, 50) As COLUMN_DESC From QSYS2.SYSCOLUMNS
bchunn01
7 - Meteor

Thanks Patrick for responding.  I'll try that.  I did get on the phone yesterday with IBM's support desk.  They said it is up to software application (Alteryx) to be coded such that Field descriptions and or Field Names are optional.  As an example, He showed me IBM's i Access Client Solutions, which allows for either column headings (descriptions) or column names. (see picture).  Feels like this may be Alteryx requested future functionality, but what you've supplied could be a workaround to get the needed data.  Thanks for taking the time to share

IBM i Access Client SolutionsIBM i Access Client Solutions

Labels