Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

I want to use Column values in Tbl A to identify all records with matching words in Tbl B

CanadaKing
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have these below tables:

Table A                                                                                                 

Column_1

Result

A and B of C

1, 2

D and E of F

G and H

J

K and A of N

4, 1, 2, 5

M, P and S

5, 6, 7

A, G, M, P, And S

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7

X

Table B

ID

Description

A, B and C charts in alphabet

A, B, C, D, E and F  charts in alphabet

G, H and I  charts in alphabet

J, K and L charts in alphabet

M, N and O charts in alphabet

P, Q and R charts in alphabet

S, T and U charts in alphabet

V, W and X charts in alphabet

After using find\replace function to remove conjunction words [and, of, …] in [Column1] in Table A, I want to use [Column1] values in Table A to identify all records with matching words in Table B [Description] column and place results of all partially or fully matching records ID’s (from Table B) in [Result] column in Table A as presented.

How could I do that in Alteryx?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

There are likely a few different methods for solving this one, and you'll surely need to tweak to make it work with your "real" data, but here is a possible solution...

The key for this method is identifying all the "lookup words" from Tbl A, and getting them into rows (use a Parse tool to split by whatever delimiter you decide to use - I chose a | pipe delimiter)... and then append all those values to Tbl B. Then, for each combo, check to see if the Tbl A value is contained in Tbl B value. At the end, a series of Group Bys + Concatenate will give you the Result field you're looking for.

NicoleJohnson_0-1635549781023.png

HOWEVER...

This will be less efficient if you end up with a scenario where you have a LOT of records in Tbl A, because appending a lot of records to every record in a Tbl will create... a lot a lot of records. So if that's the case, you might instead look at splitting every "word" in Tbl B as well, and then doing a simple join between the two data sets. Then, you can group by the Record IDs from both Tbl A and Tbl B that match from the Join output, and then Group by & concatenate to get your final result data set. 

Hopefully that makes sense/points you in the right direction! If you need a little more guidance, let me know 🙂 

Cheers! 

NJ

CanadaKing
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, great solution.

Labels