Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

I want to move Data presided by a space to a new column

JamesG2806
7 - Meteor

I want to move Data presided by a space to a new column. So for an example if I had the below image attached: 

So the image below what I am looking for is Data 1 to remain in column A, Item 1 to be moved to column B as this has one space and Sub 1 to be moved to column c as this has two spaces and so on. 

4 REPLIES 4
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

The formula for B would be:

if left([A],1) = " " then [A] else null() endif

The formula for C would be:

if left([A],2) = "  " then [A] else null() endif

BUT ... it looks like you're trying to pivot a hierarchy and the above will leave you with null cells in each column as well.  Is that what you're after or do you want all the values on a single row ?

And how many rows do you have in your real source file ?

JamesG2806
7 - Meteor

So attached the real sheet here now. So its been pulled from accounting software and the spaces are basically the sub categories. That is why I am trying to shift them over and then say for example A2 - Assets would drop down and automatically fill till we got to A35 Non assets. 

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

i think you're after something like this ? (workflow attached)

2019-04-03 08_29_30-Alteryx Designer x64 - Balance Sheet hierarchy.yxmd.png

JamesG2806
7 - Meteor

Perfect thanks a million for your help 

Labels