Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

I need 2 or more of my output data to be saved in single excel file into 2 tab / sheets

Naga
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am working on solution, which have multiple outputs and I need them be saved as an output (Output tool) into single excel file into multiple tabs. I tried this selecting single excel book and tried giving different excel sheet, however, it is throwing an error.

Solution required is to save all my output into single excel book

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DanielG
12 - Quasar

Use the block until done tool in your workflow to force it to complete each output individually without overlapping and causing error.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Naga 

If I'm understanding correctly you'd like to use mutiple output tools to write to different sheets in the same Excel file.

The error you are seeing is probably being caused because the first output tool to run is going to lock the file, and the second output tool will throw a message when it's unable to open the file. This is the intended behaviour (for obvious reasons) so you'll need to structure your workflow in such a way that the first output runs to completion before the second output tool runs.

Fortunately, there's a tool for that!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Block-Until-Done/ta-p/...

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Naga,

Block Until Done is what will help you, however this is assuming all your data for different tabs comes into this tool in one block and you split/break it to all different tabs after.

This is not always the case as schemas/fields and records may be very different - for this i'm sharing you a workflow that compacts 2 totally different sub-workflows into header and records and following Block Until Done unveils them again to the original format.

img1.JPG

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

Naga
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the solution. It is working

Naga
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your solution.

Labels