community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

I DON'T want to use BATCH MACRO!

Meteoroid

I'm frustrated by the fact Alteryx has a hard time with aggregating multiple Excel files that are structured the same way. I've used the Batch Macro process and it is too much  for such a simple task.

My unfortunate solution at the moment is to add a new weekly file to the workflow and union all the files together, works like a charm but I should not have to do this.

ALTERYX - Why haven't you built a simple solution for this by now? I love your product but sometimes I wonder why you leave out such important features and put it in the hands of the community to solve with convoluted workflows.  

I DON'T want to build a batch marco for this simple process because when I end up sharing the workflow I'll have to make sure whoever ends up opening my workflows I have to make sure they have all the right drivers installed on their machine etc... NOT GOOD.

Please give me your feedback....I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one frustrated with this.

Quasar

@dylanweaver perhaps it's a typo, but in your post you said "structured the same way." In this case, have you tried either a dynamic input tool or a wildcard on your input? If the schemas of the files are identicial then there is no need for a batch macro.

Meteoroid

Yes I have....still the same issue. The only time it works is when I manually add in each file or use a batch marco (read all files tool made by the community).

Quasar

Is it possible to attach at least two of the files to this post? That would be the best way to help. If you're able to also include your workflow that would also help.

Meteoroid

Sure, here are two samples of many. Thanks by the way.

Alteryx Certified Partner
Dylan,

While others are looking at your sample data, I tend to agree that simple is better. I use CReW macros for some tasks that seem difficult. I've posted YouTube videos about dynamic inputs. You might search for MarqueeCrew and Alteryx.

There is a crew macro that addresses your need for opening files too.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Quasar

@dylanweaver It's a small distinction, but in this case the file schemas are actually different. If you compare the two files using the "field info" tool, you will notice that the [Directions to Location] field is a different length between the two files:

This is the 2018-10-19 file, where the length is 993.

length 10-19.PNG

This is the 2018-11-02 file, where the length is 990.

length 11-02.PNG

That's what's throwing off the dynamic input tool. If you were to increase the length of the longest record in the 2018-11-02 file by the length of spaces, you'll see it works.

Meteoroid

Thanks for pointing this out. How do I get around this? I have a file for each week for the year and each file is about 1,000 records, that Directions field will vary in length week to week....

Meteoroid

Thanks, I've used the crew macro before (it works but...) and had issues with other colleagues wanting to run the same workflow on their machine.

ChaosReignsWithin.com

Install the macros and use the excel input tool.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Labels